Fire and Water Gong (Tai Yang – Shao Yin)
This exercise is most effective if performed between 11 am and 7 pm. Covering the time between lunch and supper.
1. Tap the right forearm heart 3 point with your left fingers and side them down the inside of the arm to the heart 7 point. Do this eight times.
Heart 3: Shaohai, lesser sea, he-sea point, calms the Shen, activates the meridian, transforms phlegm, clears heat, benefits the arm, alleviates pain.
Heart 7: Shenmen, spirit gate, yuan source and shu-stream points, calms the Shen, tonifies and regulates the heart blood and qi.
2. Bend forward at the waist and slap the backs of both knees hitting the bladder 40 point and dragging the hands down the legs to the bladder 65 point. Bend your legs as you reach your feet, straighten your legs when you slap bladder 40. Do this eight times.
Bladder 40: Weizhong, supporting middle, he-sea point, clears heat, resolves dampness, benefits the lumbar area and knees, cools the blood, clears summer heat, activates the meridian, relieves pain.
Bladder 65: Shugu, restraining bone, shu-stream point, clears heat, dispels wind, relaxes the sinews, activates the meridian, alleviates pain.
3. Touch the inside of the ankle on the kidney 3 point and drag up the inside of the leg to the kidney 10 point on the inside of the knee. Bend your legs when you touch the inside of the ankles, straighten when you slap kidney 10. Do this eight times.
Kidney 3: Taixi, great stream, yuan source and shu-stream points, tonifies the kidneys (yin and yang), strengthens the lower back, relieves heel and ankle pain.
Kidney 10: Yingu, yin valley, he-sea point, resolves dampness, and damp-heat from lower jiao, benefits the kidneys, alleviates pain.
4. Touch the outside of the left hand on the small intestine 3 point and drag the fingers up the arm to tap the small intestine 8 point. Do this eight times.
Small intestine 3: Houxi, back stream, shu-stream point, benefits the neck and back, activates the meridian, expels exterior wind, regulates the Du meridian, calms the Shen.
Small intestine 8: Xiaohai, small sea, he-sea point, activates the meridian, alleviates pain, clears heat and damp-heat.
5. Place the palms of both hands in the small of the back and rock backwards and forwards eight times.
6. Place the right fingers in the axilla (Heart 1) and rotate the left arm anti-clockwise (as you look at it) eight times. Repeat with the right arm, with the left fingers in the axilla.
Heart 1: Jiquan, supreme spring, frees the chest, activates the meridian, benefits the arm.
7. Place the right hand in the axilla (Heart 1) and rotate the left arm clockwise (as you look at it) eight times. Repeat with the right arm, with the left fingers in the axilla.
8. Eight sau gong, bending the knees as the hands reach the lower Dantian.